Search The Web

Monday, October 10, 2011

Double Entry Journal #12 part1

Three things I learned.
*Language communicates control.  I never thought of it as such, but language does effect control in a given environment. 
*I learned that searching for the answer does not necessarily help the students engage in new ideas and concepts.  This idea makes sense, it is just hard to grasp since I plan to be a math teacher. 
*Another thing I learned is we need to value student knowledge more.  I sort of already knew this, but this statement just opened my eyes more.  If we give credit to kids for what they know rather than "complaining" about what they don't know, then the attention of the students might be easier to grasp. 
Two things I found interesting.
*We take language for granted.
*"A student who can provide an acceptable answer has not necessarily mastered learning." This is an accurate, powerful statement. 
One question I have.
*Since I am going to teach math, how do I get out of the "only one answer" trend, because essentially there is only one answer (so to speak). 



1 comment:

  1. I think for math you need essential questions need make math relevant to their lives "How can solving equations be useful in real life"?
    To answer this question they find examples...!

    ReplyDelete